Stewart and I completed the Great Glen Way in 5 days from April 19th – 23rd.
The Great Glen Way runs from Fort William at the northern end of the West Highland Way to Inverness along the Great Glen Fault. The route is 73 miles (118 Km) in length following the Caledonian Canal. I only enjoyed the part between Gairlochy and Fort Augustus.
Here are some tips if you are going to do this hike:
- There is no cheap accommodation in Gairlochy. There are B&Bs at about £30 ppn and there is a campsite 1mile off the route. The campsite does not have any cooking facilities.
- Gairlochy also has no shops, not even at the campsite, so you need to bring food.
- Between Gairlochy and South Laggan ignore diversion, it is unnecessary and misses a beautiful part of the way. Also look out here for The Fairy Glen complete with a welly tree (its off the path so look for it).
- In South Laggan The Floating Bunkhouse and The Great Glen Hostel are on the way and good prices.
- There is no cheap accommodation in Invermoriston, the SYHA Hostel is in Alltsigh, 3 miles north.
- In Drumnadrochit The Loch Ness Backpackers Hostel is excellent.